Sunday, December 11, 2011

Southern Tier's Harvest Ale

I see people rave about Southern Tier's releases, but I haven't had much luck with them thus far. I thought this year's "Mokah" was overpowered by chocolate, and not terribly appealing chocolate at that. (Others feel very different about it, so don't let me scare you off completely, if overpowering chocolate doesn't sound too bad to you.) But I think I have found a Southern Tier brew I can honestly rave about with their "Harvest Ale." It's an ESB (extra special bitter) brewed up with fresh English hops (four varieties) and a solid malt base. It has that earthy, oily fresh-hop character, but the hop profile is quite a bit different than most of the harvest ales we see in the northwest. It's delicious. So delicious that I have no idea why there were six-packs of this autumn release floating around the supermarkets in November...

No comments:

Post a Comment