Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stone Brewing at The Hoppy Brewer

Last Thursday's tasting at The Hoppy Brewer was a Stone Brewing event, with a range of both regular and seasonal releases. I skipped the "Cali-Belgique" Belgian IPA, which I consider one of the best examples of the style I've tried, and the "Ruination" imperial IPA, which probably doesn't need much introduction. That left four beers, only one of which I had tasted before. 

The "Smoked Porter" (5.9% ABV) was a pleasant surprise. It's a good porter. Nice and dark, with plenty of body and a bit of cream that comes through the mild, but very tasty smoke.

The 2011 "Double Bastard" is an imperial version of "Arrogant Bastard," a 7.2% American strong ale, so it's no surprise that it weighs in at 10.5% ABV. It's bigger than the original, but also mellower in many ways, as you would expect from an imperial. The dominant flavors are caramel and booze, with enough hops to balance things.

I had tried the "Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout" before, expecting it to be a little "busy," but it's really a very well-balanced Russian imperial stout. The anise does come forward quite a bit as it warms, but it's very, very tasty. My taste last week just confirmed my first impressions.

The "11.11.11. Vertical," a 9.4% Belgian strong pale ale brewed with chiles and cinnamon, was the selection I was most interested in—and the one I was most uncertain that I would like. I needn't have worried. It's a great beer. The Belgian yeast and the chiles mix in ways that I wouldn't have anticipated. The cinnamon doesn't come through particularly, but it's hard to know what its absence would do to the mix.

All in all, it was a pretty impressive line-up. I had more than half convinced myself that Stone wasn't really a brewery I cared much about these days, but they certainly produce some good beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment